The power of the follow up...

Startup Sales Success Email Course: Lesson #7

Life is all about the follow up. Especially when it comes to the startup hustle.

It's easy to focus on the initial contact. The first meeting. The email you've sent to someone important. You reach out to someone and then feel good about yourself. You've done your job, you've pitched and reached out. You've asked for a meeting/call/etc. Now all you have to do is sit around and wait for the other side to respond.

And that's the problem - You need more "follow up hustle".

I get it. You don't want to be a pain in the ass. We all want to avoid being annoying at the risk of getting rejected. 

That's why most people will contact someone once, and then wait around for that person to get back to them. That's the complete wrong approach. 

I have a simple philosophy - I follow up as many times as necessary until I get a response. I don't care what the response is as long as I get one. If someone tells me they need another 14 days to get back to me I will put that in my calendar and ping them again in 14 days.

If they tell me they are busy and they don't have time right now I will respond and ask them when they feel like a good time would be for me ping them again. The key here is to actually keep following up. If someone tells me they are not interested - I leave them alone.

But here is the kicker - if they don't respond at all I will keep pinging them until they do. And trust me - they always do :)

Once I followed up with an investor 48 times until I got a meeting. Now mind you, this investor was introduced to me and had responded positively to my initial email, but then disappeared in limbo and I couldn't get hold of him anymore.

He finally responded, we met, and he ended up investing. Most people will assume that there is no interest and will stop following up.

I don't. I simply assume that the person is busy and that I need to follow up until they have a moment to respond. If I keep reaching out my chances of getting to that perfect moment are massively higher. 

That's how you get things done that others don't. That's how you get meetings that others don't. You follow up. And you never ever stop…until you get the deal done!

If you want to know more about how to follow up exactly, check out this blog post.

Happy Selling!

Steli

P.S. I would love to hear from you. What's the most valuable thing you've learned so far in this course? What other topics should I cover in the future?

What startup hustlers say about this course:
"I don't think I've ever been so engaged with a mailing list / content marketing before. Good stuff, and I can't wait to get more :D" - James Gill, CEO & co-founder of GoSquared

No comments